Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ robust Ver. 2.0 update has introduced a robust new cooking feature, letting players create sweet and savory dishes by combining ingredients both old and new. Get ready to update your DIY Recipes app and head to the nearest kitchen as it’s time to finally cook up over 140 new recipes! Keep reading for our full guide on how to cook in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
Can you cook in Animal Crossing: New Horizons?
Yes! Cooking was added to the game via its Ver. 2.0 update on November 3rd, 2021. Players can now grow crops like sugarcane, tomatoes, carrots, wheat, and much more, and combine these ingredients to create dishes that can be eaten, gifted, or displayed.
How many Cooking Recipes are there?
There are a whopping 141 Cooking Recipes to find in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. You can find the full list at the bottom of this guide.
How do I unlock the cooking feature in Animal Crossing: New Horizons?
First, make sure your copy of Animal Crossing: New Horizons is updated to at least version 2.0.0. To check, select New Horizons’ icon on your Nintendo Switch with the + Button. Under its name, a Version number will be listed under it (i.e. version 2.0.0). If it isn’t Ver. 2.0 or higher, go to the “Software Update” tab and select “Via the Internet” to download the update from the internet or “Match Version with Local Users” if you have a second Nintendo Switch that has the update installed.
Once you’re all up to date, it’s off to Nook Stop at Resident Services!
Provided that you have 2,000 Nook Miles on hand, you can purchase Be a Chef! DIY Recipes+. Once loaded into your Nook Inc. Phone, you’ll get the following recipes:
- Carrot potage
- Grilled sea bass with herbs
- Pumpkin bagel sandwich
- Tomato curry
- Apple smoothie/Cherry smoothie/Orange smoothie/Peach smoothie/Pear smoothie*
*Depending on your island’s native fruit.
You’ll also unlock a DIY recipe for the Stonework kitchen – a kitchen item that doubles as a cooking-only “workbench” to work your magic!
Where can I find Cooking Recipes?
Similar to DIY Recipes, Cooking Recipes can be found in a variety of ways! You can find Cooking Recipes in washed-up DIY bottles on the shores of beaches, obtain from neighbors, acquired from specific items and/or characters, and even balloons (Spooky Cookies only though). Certain recipes can be obtained only a specific way, and they are the following:
Be a Chef! DIY Recipes+
- Available via Nook Miles Redemption for 2,000 Nook Miles.
- Recipes: Carrot potage, Flour, Grilled sea bass with herbs, Pancakes, Pumpkin bagel sandwich, Sugar, and Tomato curry.
Basic Cooking Recipes
- Available via Nook’s Cranny for 4,980 Bells.
- Recipes: Brown sugar, Brown-sugar cupcakes, Carrot cake, Gnocchi di patate, Organic bread, Seaweed soup, Tomato puree, and Whole-wheat flour.
Turkey Day Recipes
- Available via Nook’s Cranny for 9,800 Bells. Limited to November.
- Recipes: Clam chowder, Gratin, Olive-flounder meunière, and Pumpkin pie.
Recipes from Daisy Mae
- Obtained from Daisy Mae. Please check back for more details!
- Recipes: Bamboo-shoot soup, Jarred bamboo shoots, Kabu ankake, and Turnip salad.
Fish dishes where you must catch a fish to learn the Cooking Recipe:
- Anchovy: Anchoas al ajillo and Sardines in oil.
- Barred knifejaw: Barred-knifejaw carpaccio.
- Blue marlin: Carpaccio di marlin blu.
- Dab: Karei no nitsuke.
- Horse mackerel: Aji fry.
- Oliver flounder: Sautéed olive flounder.
- Red Snapper: Pesce all’acqua pazza.
- Salmon: Carpaccio di salmone, Poke, Salmon bagel sandwich, and Salmon sandwich.
- Sea bass: Sea-bass pie.
- Squid: Squid-ink curry and Squid-ink spaghetti.
Where can I find ingredients?
Ingredients can be procured from various sources on your island. Some dishes require fruits — like apples, oranges, and peaches — while others require fish, deep sea creatures, weeds, mushrooms, turnips, or even items like bamboo shoots. Most recipes, however, require you to grow crops like pumpkins, potatoes, and wheat. Seeds for these crops can be obtained from Leif when he visits your island, or if you’ve donated enough 100,000 Bells to open his shop on Harv’s Island.
All Cooking Recipes in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
You can find all 141 ACNH Cooking Recipes and their required ingredients below. Discover your favorite one and get cooking (or baking)!
Item images and information are from the fantastic ACNH Spreadsheet and its associated Discord channel.
More Animal Crossing: New Horizons guides
Looking for more help with Animal Crossing: New Horizons? Check out our other guides!