As we inch closer and closer to back-to-school day, it is also time to start thinking about homecoming dresses. Homecoming is a unique tradition that welcomes back students and celebrates their return to another year at school. Homecoming is most common at high schools and generally includes the first football game of a season and a dance the next night. In fact, the tradition is almost 150 years old. If you know exactly what you are looking for, finding a homecoming dress doesn’t have to be so daunting. Here are 5 things to consider when shopping for a homecoming dress.
- Ask for advice and opinions. When it comes to homecoming dresses, you want to ask your friends – namely your closest girlfriends and mom – which one looks the best on you. You want them to coming shopping with you, because the people who are closest with you are also the people you can trust the most. They will be bluntly honest when it comes to whether a homecoming dress looks good on you or not. However, while it’s important to accept all forms of advice, both negative and positive, if you find a dress that you love and feel confident in, you should go for it.
- Try on different sizes. Sometimes homecoming dresses can be one size larger or smaller than you are used to. Especially with wedding and prom dresses, the size grading is different per designer and style of dress. So, if you are a four, but they are out of fours in a style you like, try on a two or a six. Sometimes one or the other will be your true size according to that designer. So, don’t worry about limiting your options just because you can’t find a dress in your size. Also, don’t feel self conscious about trying on a dress in a larger size than you are used to.
- Keep an open mind. When it comes to homecoming dresses, you want to try on a number of different options – sizes, colors, lengths, styles and fabrics. Not only will you find a homecoming dress that fits, but also one that fits who you are and what your body type is. There are a number of different styles out there and they won’t all be flattering for your body type, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t plenty of styles that you can pull off. The more you try on, the higher your chances of finding something that works for you.
- Start shopping sooner rather than later. If you wait until the last minute, you could risk having a really hard time finding a homecoming dress – no one wants to be left with what’s at the bottom of the barrel. If you wait too long, what’s left of the homecoming dresses will also be much more expensive. If you want to save time and money, shop earlier – a few months in advance – to increase your chances of finding a perfect homecoming dress. The last thing you want to do is go with something that seems just good enough.
- Get it tailored. If you find a dress that fits perfectly, but is a little too long, there is nothing wrong with having the dress shortened or taken in. The same goes if the bust is too tight or the straps are too loose. A customized homecoming dress will not only look better, but it will also boost your confidence.